Even if I had $50-$100 to blow on a facial, I wouldn’t. I’m just not the type to spend money on things that I know I can do at home. Its getting colder here in the “D” (Detroit, Michigan) and when the weather switches as quickly as it does here in the Midwest, I like to switch up my skincare routine, and give my face a lil’ tlc.
After Much Research, Here Is Are Some Benefits Of Giving Yourself A Lil ‘Facial
- They cleanse. Warm steam softens the surface of your skin to remove impurities, bacteria and dirt from your pores. It also draws out buildup, softening blackhead and whitehead plugs so they gently release from the skin.
- They promote healthy circulation. Increasing your perspiration helps your skin’s blood vessels to dilate, improving blood flow. The blood feeds and oxygenates the skin. Good circulation is key to a healthy complexion.
- They hydrate. Steam is hydrating for your skin and great for increasing permeability. The moist heat revives tired skin and supports the absorption of moisture from your skin care products, increasing your skin’s suppleness.
- They calm. Steaming instantly connects you to your breath, and the aromatherapy is relaxing and soothing to body and mind.
- They will give you a glow. The boost in circulation and blast of hydration to the surface of your skin will leave you with a beautiful, healthy glow.
Once a week I indulge in a home spa ritual. I find a quiet time for me to deep condition my beautiful natural hair, shave my legs and paint my nails. It’s my lady time. I even balance it off with a cup of herbal tea.
Instructions for a facial steam
Step 1: Choose your herbs. Nourishing herbal combinations for your skin type can be bought already packaged, or you can create your own combination. Some great herbs to use include calendula, comfrey, chamomile, and nettle. For dry skin, try adding rose, lavender, or borage. For oily skin, use rosemary, sage, or peppermint.
Step 2: Get cha towel, cause your going to want to pat the past away once raising your head from the excellence.
Step 3: Secure your hair back and away from your face. Cleanse your face and neck with a lightly exfoliating cleanser. A honey cleanser mixed with coffee grounds is great for bringing fresh blood to the surface of your skin and supporting the removal of impurities during your herbal steam.
Step 4: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. I prefer to use distilled water for mine. Once the water comes to a boil, toss in a the herbs of your choice and stir with a wooden spoon. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover it. Allow the herbs to simmer for 2-3 minutes, then transfer the pot to your tabletop or transfer the water to a bowl. This is the best time to add essential oils to your water. I like tea tree. It gives me that tingle and makes me feel like I really now how to do this ish.
Step 5: Drape a large, thick towel over your head and the pot, creating a tent to capture the steaming herbal water. Hold your face about 6-8 inches above the water. You can regulate the heat by raising or lowering your head over the water, or you can lift a corner of the towel to let in a little cool air if you need too. Steaming for 5-8 minutes is ideal. If you want, you can stay under for up to 10 minutes.
Step 6: You can splash your face with lukewarm water before patting your face dry with a clean towel if you’d like. Then apply your favorite moisturizing crème or serum. A great way to end your facial steam is to give your face a light massage with your favorite oil or crème. Using upward strokes, gently massage your forehead, checks and neck. You will feel relaxed, soothed and glowing.
I like to finish my facials off with Biossance’s Vitamin C Rose Oil as my facial moisturizer.This stuff is $72 bucks, but its WORTH IT! My hyperpigmentation has faded drastically since the 3 month of use. They also have sample bottle to give a shot if you’re a bit iffy on the price.
Regular herbal steaming promotes healthy skin, is easy to do and feels great. Taking 30 minutes a week to do this will give your skin clarity, suppleness, and vibrancy. Treat yourself or your friends to a home spa treatment and feel the many benefits!
If all of this seems too much, Target has the PERFECT alternative for you
You can grab this at home facial online and in stores to give you the same results in half the time. Not free but you save time, and time is money to most.
I hope this helps someone!